Civil Litigation Lawyer Sudbury - When a business enterprise experiences financial problems, one of the most vital things you can do is choose the correct team to help you navigate the process. Insolvencies, bankruptcies and business restructuring can be amongst the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of experience in order to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to give representation and advice, leading to timely, efficient, and strategic solutions.
Our clients come from numerous different enterprises within businesses such as biomedical, airline, automotive, construction, entertainment, communications, funeral, financial services, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, marketing, steel, mining, technology, real estate, retail and natural resources. Our lawyers can assist you with the difficulties of cross-border proceedings administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive knowledge with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation within Canada and the United States have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nevertheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border proceedings to be well-informed concerning both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within many of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the needed professionals could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes that are positive during business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skilled members across our global firms in the numerous legal fields handling business reorganizations. Our company has professionals in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, public and private equity, labour and employment, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our group provides skilled litigators.
For the many stakeholders we represent, our services comprise the following:
1. We advise financially challenged businesses about restructuring alternatives and options like for example directing and initiating formal restructuring proceedings under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the independent/special committees of private and public corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing recommendation in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, agents to and members operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, bondholders, trust indenture trustees, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring proceedings, we advise the ad-hoc and formal creditors committees.
5. We advise secured creditors regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency procedures.
6. We can help trustees through bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures. In addition, we can make proposals under the BIA, comprising bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. We advise equipment vendors and leasers, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring realizations and proceedings and in relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors.
8. We can assist the purchasers who are distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency proceedings, we help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants.
10. In the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases, we offer counsel on a wide range of litigation matters.
11.We prosecute and defend litigating actions and preference actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, like injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf